Friday, January 16, 2015

Diigo - Online and Social Bookmarking


As we start the new semester, many teachers may be looking for new resources to use in classroom planning and ways to organize all of the resources out there. Enter Diigo.  Diigo is a social bookmarking, web annotation, and research tool that works well for teachers to use to keep track of all those great resources found, or for students to use to keep track of information and research for classroom assignments.

One great feature about Diigo is the Google single sign-on.  There is no hassle with setting up accounts or finding a username and password or any of that.  Additionally, Google has a Diigo extension that makes saving an annotating websites super easy.

I use Diigo in a few different ways.  First, I use it to organize great websites I find and want to keep, both personally and professionally.  With the extension, when I find a site I want to keep, I simply click the extension and click Save.  It then saves that website into my Diigo library, where I can access it later.  I can also tag websites with different terms to help me group them. For instance, my personal Diigo account has different tag groups like recipes, house ideas, kid stuff, etc.  My professional ones has tags like Google, tech articles, web tools, etc.  It works great for organizing and I can create customized lists to help me further organize the sites I find.  Along with saving the site, I can also highlight or annotate the site and save specific information to Diigo.  This works great if there is something about a site I want to remember.

Another way I use Diigo is as part of my Professional Learning Network (PLN).  I belong to a number of Diigo groups, which are just groups of users who share similar interests.  I follow some educational and technology groups, and can then browse and see what these people are saving and posting to share with others. I find numerous great resources through my Diigo groups.

Finally, Diigo is not just for teachers.  It can be a great tool for students to organize information for research projects or to keep track of their own online items they use for school.  Students can annotate and save website information, and then group that information by project or class, and they can even share that with teachers so you can track how they are doing. There are so many uses for this neat online tool!  See the links below for more help and directions.

Under a Minute Tech Tip Diigo Youtube Video
How to Install and Use Diigo
How to Use Diigo (this is a great Youtube video walking you through how to use it)
Link to Chrome Webstore to Install App and Extension 

No comments:

Post a Comment